Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cupcakes with Fondant

The recipe for these cupcakes is pretty basic, so I am concentrating on the fondant. This is first time I have tried decorating with fondant and also the first time I have made it.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I heavily greased a large bowl with shortening, added 1/2 lb of marshmallows (half-recipe) and microwaved for 30 seconds. I stirred them, then microwaved for 30 more seconds. With enough shortening, the marshmallows will not stick to the sides. I then added 1 lb powdered sugar and started mixing. Once the mixture wasn't too sticky, I kneaded it with my hands until almost all of the sugar had been incorporated.
I left a fourth of the fondant uncolored, then added gel food coloring the the each of the other fourths, and kneaded them until smooth. I tried making black fondant with some black "gel icing", but all I got was grey.


This stuff is really fun to shape. It's just like play-dough, and tastes like marshmallow.

A half-recipe yielded way too much fondant for 12 cupcakes. I only used about half of the amount that I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment